Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Jesus Never Met My Alcoholic Father

This dramatic statement was spray painted on the side of a dumpster in Chinatown in Vancouver about 2002. I shot a quick picture of this and noticed later that it was a bit out of focus. Returning the next day to reshoot the image I found it had already been removed. The sadness, anger and desperation of this statement stayed with me and I wondered who had written it.

As time passed I spent more and more time in the streets and back alleys of downtown Vancouver including it's Chinatown and Gastown areas documenting images of the homeless in hopes of producing a series of images. Soon I realized that this one image and statement epitomized what I was seeing and this needed to be the title of the series. The following images are from that series.

No comments: